[cfe-dev] where to send test suite errors

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:58:31 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM, David Chisnall <csdavec at swan.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Bayard,
>
> That's great.  We have libc++ running on Solaris, and Dmitri Shubin has submitted patches for a couple of bits of the build system that didn't work out of the box for them.  Bootstrapping was a bit painful because Solaris seems to come with a GCC that can't produce a working clang if asserts are enabled, but clang built with clang works nicely.  I'd love to see this all working on Illumos too.  It would greatly help matters, by the way, if you can standarise the location of the crt*.o files on Solaris, as *BSD has done - it saves us needing a load of search logic to find the GCC path containing them, as we do on GNU/Linux.

As I also happen to maintain gcc 4.4 ATM for the illumos-userland
project, I can probably help with that. I hadn't tried enabling
asserts with the gcc we've got to see if it fails. When I switch to
one of our compiler servers, I'll give it another whack. Otherwise
tweaking compiler builds is about as much fun as watching paint dry.

Part of what motivated me to pick up a recent port of llvm/clang was
the talk about DTrace integration at dtrace.conf the other week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NqV_Uj8Ba4

That may not be news to you.