[cfe-dev] Precompiled headers with libclang

Matthieu Monrocq matthieu.monrocq at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:43:32 PDT 2012

Le 6 avril 2012 00:49, James K. Lowden <jklowden at schemamania.org> a écrit :

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:41:55 +0530
> Abhanshu Sharma <abhanshu1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Do you have a benchmark that clearly shows how much time is spent on
> > > 'stat' here? Are you using a network filesystem that makes stat
> > > system calls slow for some reason?
> > >
> > Yes I am using FUSE filesystems.
>
> Why??
>
> It's an earnest question.  I'm having trouble imagining a why a
> developer interested in speed would choose to keep source code (or
> object code) on anything except locally attached storage.  Putting
> a network and/or userspace between the compiler and the source code is
> a recipe for poor productivity.
>
> Modern source-control systems replaced CVS partly because CVS's design
> presumes expensive storage (which was true when CVS was young).
> Subversion explicitly chose to prefer local storage to network I/O
> whenever feasible because disk storage is now cheaper than water.  git
> took that design one step further, keeping the whole repository local.
>
> But you surely know all that.  Whatever could require you to ignore
> it?
>
> --jkl

Editing code on a local PC but building and executing it on a server farm
(because it's much faster) is a common pattern I think.

Then you have the choice of either keeping two copies of the code (one
local, one on the server) and then synchronizing before compiling/running
or to have them share their storage, one way or another.

-- Matthieu