[cfe-dev] Precompiled headers with libclang

James K. Lowden jklowden at schemamania.org
Thu Apr 5 15:49:50 PDT 2012

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:41:55 +0530
Abhanshu Sharma <abhanshu1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Do you have a benchmark that clearly shows how much time is spent on
> > 'stat' here? Are you using a network filesystem that makes stat
> > system calls slow for some reason?
> >
> Yes I am using FUSE filesystems.

Why??

It's an earnest question.  I'm having trouble imagining a why a
developer interested in speed would choose to keep source code (or
object code) on anything except locally attached storage.  Putting
a network and/or userspace between the compiler and the source code is
a recipe for poor productivity.

Modern source-control systems replaced CVS partly because CVS's design
presumes expensive storage (which was true when CVS was young).
Subversion explicitly chose to prefer local storage to network I/O
whenever feasible because disk storage is now cheaper than water.  git
took that design one step further, keeping the whole repository local.

But you surely know all that.  Whatever could require you to ignore
it?

--jkl