[cfe-dev] Work on initializer lists

Sebastian Redl sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at
Sun Sep 25 10:33:40 PDT 2011

On 25.09.2011 14:58, Nicola Gigante wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> Commits r140454 and  r140461 from Sebastian Redl,
> seem to hint that some work is in progress to implement
> C++11 initializer lists.
> Is this true?
Yes.
> I'm asking this because I'm going to start my undergraduate thesis
> work, which is planned to focus on improving source-code
> fidelity of initializer lists representation in clang's AST.
>
> See "Coherent encoding of expressions occurring in initializers"
> at the beginning of my GSoC proposal at:
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/cfe-dev/2011-April/014451.html
>
> If someone is going to refactor this part of the parser to implement
> C++11 generalized initialization syntax, I have to move my thesis
> on something else.
> This is not a problem per se, but I need to know. Also, will the
> new implementation fix the current problems that clang has
> in this areas?
My work is orthogonal to the actual AST representation of initializer
lists. I don't expect to change it. (I do believe I will change the
representation initializers in general a tiny bit.) So I believe there
should be nothing stopping you from doing your thesis - in fact I would
welcome any improvement in the AST representation.

Sebastian