[cfe-dev] Chrome/mac is all-clang, all-the-time

Marc J. Driftmeyer mjd at reanimality.com
Sat Oct 29 20:23:33 PDT 2011

That's rather disappointing to read that you don't intende to change the
Linux build to Clang.

One would assume when Concurrency work is done in Clang that you'd make
the switch. The more projects move to LLVM/Clang the less the number of
dependencies arise, unlike the behemoth that has become the GCC
Collection. The number of packages alone in Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat and
others is just absurd.

If you offer clang built Linux versions for Debian with their FreeBSD
project I'm sure the appreciation would be well received.

I'll be pushing for GNOME to move more of it's infrastructure to
LLVM/Clang as well.

If Qt makes LLVM/Clang a first class citizen to build it's frameworks it
would go a long way for the KDE Project to make their infrastructure
LLVM/Clang friendly.

Yet, differentiating Chrome from being built with clang formally on
Linux and even Windows seems a more political solution than a technical one.

- Marc