[cfe-dev] unit tests for Clang TDD

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Sat Oct 15 07:05:05 PDT 2011

On 15/10/11 09:10, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM, David Kristola
> <kristol1 at illinois.edu <mailto:kristol1 at illinois.edu>>

I remember watching a video about clang/llvm that showed how you could
just create an instance of a lexer when and where you needed it, and
that the
development of clang/llvm was an "engineering exercise" - painting by
numbers?

That's what sold me on clang/llvm.

I had to surf the web for a "clang tutorial", it's not in the source tree.
http://amnoid.de/tmp/clangtut/tut.html

It's exactly what I wanted but doesn't work with the current clang, and
making it work would involve N individuals of varying skill levels on
their own,
instead of being something that made clang/llvm stand out even more.

It would be great if this found it's way into an examples/unittests/tutorial
folder and was maintained.

I don't mind API breakage as long as I can see how to change it.
Examples/unittests/tutorials are how you do that.

Open source will always beat closed source because of this kind of
give+take.

You come up with a better/faster/simpler way to do something,
and if it hasn't already been burned into an eprom, developers will use it,
if they are shown how, and the whole system benefits.

Philip