[cfe-dev] Changing the way Clang's driver computes the library search paths on Linux

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:06:34 PDT 2011

> Rafael, I CC-ed you because I know you've worked hard on this before,
> and may have a large number of distributions installed on VMs. If you
> can test Clang with this patch (or after I commit it) and report places
> where the behavior doesn't match GCC's that would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot for working on this. This code suffered a lot from being
patched up as I got more and more distros going.

I don't have them all set up any more, but the "interesting" ones are

* OpenSUSE, which has the linker installed with the compiler
* Fedora/RH, which use lib64 in both the 32 and 64 bit distros
* Debian, which uses lib & lib64 on 32 bit systems and lib32 & lib in 64
bit systems.
* newer Debian systems that use lib/<triple>

A crosstool like setup with gcc, libc and binutils installed in one
directory.

The way I tested it was by running a small set of linking tasks with
-fPIC, -m32, -static etc and checking that the linker command line was
the "same" short of reordering of options.

I really like the idea of creating a fake dir structure so that we can
add tests for this!

Cheers,
Rafael