[cfe-dev] Clang for Windows and Boost

Lars Viklund zao at acc.umu.se
Sun Mar 20 04:37:07 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:19:03PM -0700, Douglas Gregor wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>
> > On 3/17/2011 1:39 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> > Can clang built with MingW/MSYS ( or less probably VC++10 ) compile
> > Boost under Windows ?
>
> I would expect it to be possible with MinGW/MSYS, but not with VC++10. The basic problem is the C++ library headers: MinGW/MSYS uses libstdc++, which Clang can handle; VC++ has a lot of non-standard C++ in its headers that Clang does not currently handle. [*]
>
> > If so, can we get a toolset in Boost Build to use
> > clang under Windows so Boost libraries can be tested in Windows using
> > clang ?

The last time I built clang++ on Windows (with either mingw-w64 or
VC9/VC10) the resulting compiler insisted on attempting to use the VC10
headers, which as mentioned elsewhere in the thread will not work.

Has the logic for finding and using headers on the system been resolved
since then, or is it still unusable if you happen to have 10 installed?

(this was in September 2010 or so, and a I believe the situation was
similar when I tried it early this year)

As for the problems with SEH patents, I believe it only holds for 32-bit
SEH. 64-bit SEH is not (as far as I gathered from mingw-w64 IRC
discussions) affected by the patent (IANAL).

Lars Viklund | zao at acc.umu.se