[cfe-dev] Clang for Windows and Boost

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Sun Mar 20 12:59:28 PDT 2011

On 3/20/2011 7:37 AM, Lars Viklund wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:19:03PM -0700, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/17/2011 1:39 PM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>>> Can clang built with MingW/MSYS ( or less probably VC++10 ) compile
>>> Boost under Windows ?
>>
>> I would expect it to be possible with MinGW/MSYS, but not with VC++10. The basic problem is the C++ library headers: MinGW/MSYS uses libstdc++, which Clang can handle; VC++ has a lot of non-standard C++ in its headers that Clang does not currently handle. [*]
>>
>>> If so, can we get a toolset in Boost Build to use
>>> clang under Windows so Boost libraries can be tested in Windows using
>>> clang ?
>
> The last time I built clang++ on Windows (with either mingw-w64 or
> VC9/VC10) the resulting compiler insisted on attempting to use the VC10
> headers, which as mentioned elsewhere in the thread will not work.

How can you tell what header files clang is using ? I built clang using
MSYS in a directory outside of my llvm/clang structure. If I include C++
standard library header files when compiling a source file with clang,
how do I determine where clang is searching for those header files ?

> Has the logic for finding and using headers on the system been resolved
> since then, or is it still unusable if you happen to have 10 installed?
>
> (this was in September 2010 or so, and a I believe the situation was
> similar when I tried it early this year)
>
> As for the problems with SEH patents, I believe it only holds for 32-bit
> SEH. 64-bit SEH is not (as far as I gathered from mingw-w64 IRC
> discussions) affected by the patent (IANAL).

Is there a 64-bit version of clang ? If so, how does one build the
64-bit version under MSYS/MingW in Windows ?