[cfe-dev] Building clang with MingW and MSYS

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Wed Mar 16 14:04:48 PDT 2011

On 3/16/2011 4:38 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Edward Diener<eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com>
> writes:
>
>> I am trying to build clang with MingW and MSYS. I have followed the
>> instructions on the Clang "Getting Started" page. When I execute:
>>
>> ../llvm/configure
>>
>> I receive:
>>
>> $ ../llvm/configure
>> configure: error: Already configured in ../llvm
>>
>> Huh ?
>>
>> There are no files in the 'build' directory except for a config.log
>> which says:
>>
>> "This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
>> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>>
>> It was created by llvm configure 3.0svn, which was
>> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.60.  Invocation command line was
>>
>>     $ ../llvm/configure
>
> The error is emitted after testing for the presence on the source tree
> of the file
>
> include/llvm/Config/config.h
>
> That file is generated by the configure script of by cmake.
>
> Are you using the same sources you previously used for building with VS
> in-source?'

Yes.

>  If yes, you must start from a clean source directory. Some
> version control tools have commands for removing all unversioned files,
> but I don't know about svn.

Wow, this is a wonderful build system, that can not even build clang for
two different compilers without conflict. Is this CMake or just 'Nix
configure ? OK, it is useless to complain about such things but this is
very poor. Maybe LLVM and Clang should consider something better.

There must be some way of building a version of clang using MingW
without wiping out the clang using VC++ 10 I built. I guess I will just
save the 'bin' directory somehwere, wipe out my source tree, get
everything from SVN again and try MingW.