[cfe-dev] Attempt to install and test the libc++ failing rather catastrophically

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Wed Jun 22 05:23:06 PDT 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 2:21 AM, doug livesey wrote:

> Hi -- I tried to follow the instructions here (http://libcxx.llvm.org/) to install libc++, but the tests fail, and trying to compile with libc++ fails (on a project that works without).
> I should add that I'm rather a n00b, sorry.
> Some of the output I'm getting from the tests is here: https://gist.github.com/1039586
> That's from the tail end of the output, sorry -- I left it running in screen.
> I can run it again and redirect it to a file, if that could help.
> Could it be that I need to include more files into the compilation of libc++?
> I use /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include for quite a bit of stuff (like Boost).
> Anyway, any help & all advice will be very gratefully received.
> Thanks,
>    Doug.

You can significantly improve the test score by adding "-U__STRICT_ANSI__" to the command line for the tests.  This can be done with the following command prior to executing testit:

$ export OPTIONS="-std=c++0x -stdlib=libc++ -U__STRICT_ANSI__"

I've added this information to the libc++ website (sorry it wasn't there before).

You will still get failures due to unimplemented C++0x features, but not nearly as many as without
-U__STRICT_ANSI__.  This is a temporary workaround due to a conflict between clang and the OS X headers.

With this fix, and clang version 2.9, I'm getting:

Results for /Users/hhinnant/Development/libcxx/test:
using clang version 2.9 (tags/RELEASE_29/final)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin10
Thread model: posix
with -std=c++0x -stdlib=libc++ -U__STRICT_ANSI__
sections without tests   : 1
sections with failures   : 69
sections without failures: 994
                       +   ----