[cfe-dev] XML AST compile

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Wed Feb 23 08:03:27 PST 2011

On Feb 23, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Ruch Grégory wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm working on a tool to make some AST transformation for C. After transformation I want to compile the modified AST. Clang can print the AST in XML but the question is, can we build the program from the XML file ?

No.

> I chose this method because the development of Clang is very fast and we need a sustainable solution. I have try to build some tools that date of December 2010. Nothing works with the last version of Clang.

There are really only two options here: merge from top-of-tree Clang constantly, or only pick up releases and go through a massive merge every 6 months or so.

> Also tutorial are out of date.

Yes, they are, and it's unfortunate.

> Another question is about the XML change of format of the file. Is it fixe or not ?

The XML format is incomplete, undocumented, and changes from time to time. I don't recommend using it for anything.

	- Doug