[cfe-dev] [Synopsis-devel] Source code cross reference tool based on libclang

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 14 13:31:59 PST 2011

On 2011-02-14 16:00, Alek Paunov wrote:
>> If you want to discuss any related topic, please join me on
>
> In the long term, I really believe that we can achieve great results
> once we manage to store the Clang's internal representations to a
> powerful DB engine with appropriate query language (as I mentioned
> before, XQuery seems the best candidate for me [*]).

I'm not convinced at all. Isn't that a flavor of the same old "XML
solves all your problems" argument again that was so popular ten years
ago ? How do you express domain-specific semantics, such as C++ symbol
lookup, in a generic querying language ?

As I mentioned, there is no reason not to scale Synopsis up to using a
different backend to store its IR in (such as a database), if that will
indeed improve performance. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it...

> But until then, let's utilize the current Synopsis/SXR: Have you tried
> to apply your fresh Clang based version on the LLVM trunk itself?. If
> you give me some instructions, I also can start public Synopsis/SXR
> service for the Clang/LLVM codebase, as a test bench.

I'm afraid I'm not quite there yet, though it shouldn't be too long.
(Still need to figure out how to configure system header search paths
and system macros, etc.. Before clang, I used some heuristics from
installed system compilers (GCC, MSVC). I'm not sure yet how clang is to
be used in that respect, i.e. whether it figures any of this out on its
own, or whether I need to feed all of those in explicitly.

That being said, by all means come and play with the code and provide
feedback. Nothing will help more to get things done !
I'll gladly help you getting started...

Regards,
         Stefan