[cfe-dev] Adding namespaces to Objective-C

Ariel V Feinerman arielfeinerman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:23:21 PST 2010

My two cents

I am not a man who can decide this, ...
but I very love Objective C especially for its simplicity, nice syntax, c99
compatibility, in short the things c++ has not. I believe we must keep in
mind and Objective C these. Fortunately Objective C is not a c++, if you
prefer one write in c++.

I think prefixes are more beautiful than namespaces (by the way they
are simple for runtime support ;-). There is no diversity between NSSet or
NS::Set, excepting one or more unnecessary letters, so why? The namespaces
do not increase the culture, then if prefixes can conflict so namespaces can
likewise.

I guess the interesting problems are for instance: automatic IMP cashing,
operator overloading

NSNumber *sub = [[i - j] / z];

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2010, at 8:52 AM, Sean Hunt wrote:
>
> > On 10-11-10 11:03 AM, Douglas Gregor wrote:
> >> Or side-step the problem by using something other than "." in the
> equivalent of nested-name-specifiers.
> >>
> >>      - Doug
> >
> > How about the backslash?
>
> I'll point out that the syntax is the least interesting of the problems
> facing the idea of retrofiting namespaces into objc... :)
>
> -Chris

best regards
Ariel