[cfe-dev] New libc++ LLVM Subproject

Howard Hinnant hhinnant at apple.com
Tue May 11 14:49:40 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 5:44 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Howard Hinnant <hhinnant at apple.com> wrote:
> On May 11, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> > I see this on the webpage:
> >       • Fast execution.
> >       • Minimal memory use.
> >       • Fast compile times.
> > Any early numbers?
>
> No sorry.  Most of my time has been spent on just getting the correctness tests in.  There are no performance tests in the test suite at this time.  I'd love to get some donated though. ;-)
>
> Speaking of test suites, any thoughts about using GoogleTest? Despite some of its crazier bits and pieces (hehe), the basics make for very nice unit tests. I can also contribute a lot of help with test runners etc for other build systems as I work on GoogleTest.
>
> I'm also looking at adding performance testing to GoogleTest before too long so that might dovetail nicely.

I haven't looked at GoogleTest. I'll look into it.

One of the things I like about the current test suite is its simplicity.  It consists of a single shell script 175 lines long.  That means if it isn't doing what one wants, it is easy to change it without too much trouble.  It is also set up to report "unimplemented sections."  That is, the test suite has a directory for every sub-section in the working draft.  If a directory doesn't have any tests, that sub-section is reported as unimplemented (as opposed to just being silently forgotten).

-Howard