[cfe-dev] [patch] improved ast-print-xml for C++

Olaf Krzikalla Olaf.Krzikalla at tu-dresden.de
Tue May 11 01:57:27 PDT 2010

Hi,

Douglas Gregor schrieb:
> I have a secret agenda w.r.t. XML output as well, but it's very different: I want it to either become a clean representation of C++ ASTs in XML, or I want it removed from Clang. That's a strong statement, but here's what I think Clang's XML output should be:
>
> 	- Complete, covering all of C/C++/Objective-C: We can achieve this incrementally.

Thats what I've thought a year ago. Apparently it isn't that easy, esp.
since the C++ development has overrun me.

> 	- Documented with Schema: we need to describe what the XML format is, and be able to validate it

That's what the *XML.def files are all about. You've (correctly)
insisted that I introduced them and IIRC I did it in a way that they are
easy convertible.

> 	- C++, not Clang: The XML format should describe C++, not Clang's ASTs. Clang's ASTs are not stable and aren't necessarily the best way to describe a C++ program. XML formats are supposed to be for interchange, so they have to be stable, and ideally could be generated by another front end as well.

Hmm, but this point is really just a new project. Which is the best way
to describe a C++ program? Is it the plain source code? Or is it the
AST? Or something completely different? And why is that "something " not
used elsewhere? Well, I still think, that XML-dumping the AST is not the
worst way, even if you have to adjust it constantly.

Best regards
Olaf Krzikalla