[cfe-dev] clang assembler problems

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:54:51 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM, kalyan ponnala
<ponnala.kalyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build clang/llvm using cmake and visual studio on a windows
> vista platform. When I try to build a .c file from command prompt it says
> it's actually searching for gcc
> to find the assembler and since i dont have gcc it's failing to assemble the
> code and generating an error message.
>
> "gcc" -v -c -o C:/Users/Kalyan/AppData/Local/Temp/cc-000001.o -x assembler
> c:/Users/Kalyan/AppData/Local/Temp/cc-000000.s
> clang:error: unable to execute command: program not executable
> clang:error: assembler command failed due to signal 1 (use -v to see
> invocation)
>
> could you tell me why is the clang searching for gcc assembler. and how can
> i change it to point to a write assembler? what assembler does it use by the
> way?

Because the clang driver doesn't know how to deal with the toolchain
on Windows, it is actually looking for gcc, which is used as a
fallback when clang doesn't know the correct commands to assemble and
link files.  Note that because clang only knows how to output GNU
assembler syntax on Windows, you'll need the GNU assembler (which is
available in MinGW, among other places).

-Eli