[cfe-dev] Simple c++ sample not building with clang++

Romain Pechayre rpechayr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 04:00:51 PDT 2010

Hello, please consider the following simple c++ code:
% cat Main.cc
//first alias
namespace original_namespace {}  // decl 1
namespace client_namespace {
  namespace alias_ns = original_namespace;
}

//second alias
namespace original_namespace {} //decl 2
namespace client_namespace {
  namespace alias_ns = original_namespace;
}

This does not build with clang++ and does build with g++
. I get the following diagnosis:
Main.cc:16:11: error: redefinition of 'alias_ns' as different kind of symbol

namespace alias_ns = original_namespace;
                  ^
Main.cc:16:1: note: previous definition was here:
namespace alias_ns = original_namespace;
^

Of course this is a silly example, but I came across this when some similar
code was included again and again from different source files. I have put
this into a simple single file to see if I was still getting the problem,
and yes.

Even more surprising is when you comment  decl2 of namespace
original_namespace, no error ! I cannot understand why. Then I thought that
maybe clang was mispointing the error that was in the second declaration of
original_namespace. It is not the case, as only commenting the second alias
instruction and keeping decl1 works.

I am using clang and llvm 2.7 (not svn)

Regards,

Romain