[cfe-dev] Question Regarding C++ Support/Lib Directions

Gregory Gelfond gregory.gelfond at me.com
Mon Sep 14 10:54:26 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I had a question regarding the future of C++ support and the direction
being taken regarding the STL.

To my knowledge there are quite a few implementations of the STL under
various licenses, and with various features. For example, there's the
SGI version, STLSoft, Dimkun, GNU, and other 'distributions' of the
STL. Once clang has 'feature complete' C++ support what plans are
there regarding which version of the STL to ship as default. Do you
guys plan to simply keep the GNU runtime, or shift to some other one?

Also, what are the goals with respect to the runtimes supported by
clang, especially with regards to the future of OS X? Do you simply
want to have compatibility with the GNU runtimes, or do you envision a
break from GNU at some point towards something developed in house?

Sorry if these are irrelevant questions, I'm just curious.

Thank you kindly,
Gregory Gelfond