[cfe-dev] Question Regarding C++ Support/Lib Directions

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Sep 14 19:25:17 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:54 AM, Gregory Gelfond wrote:
> I had a question regarding the future of C++ support and the direction
> being taken regarding the STL.
>
> To my knowledge there are quite a few implementations of the STL under
> various licenses, and with various features. For example, there's the
> SGI version, STLSoft, Dimkun, GNU, and other 'distributions' of the
> STL. Once clang has 'feature complete' C++ support what plans are
> there regarding which version of the STL to ship as default. Do you
> guys plan to simply keep the GNU runtime, or shift to some other one?

Clang will have to be able to work with all of the important
implementations of the C++ standard library. At a minimum, that means
GNU libstdc++, the Apache C++ standard library, the Dinkumware C++
standard library, and possibly STLport. Clang doesn't even need to
"ship" with a C++ standard library, since most systems already have on
and we'll need to work with that standard library to interoperate with
other compilers on that system. For example, Clang in LLVM 2.6 won't
ship with a C library because we just use the system C library.

	- Doug