[cfe-dev] clang packaging question

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 14:52:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Michel Alexandre Salim
<michael.silvanus at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In theory, it should work with the gold plugin
>> (http://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html), although I don't think clang
>> actually passes the right options to the linker at the moment.  There
>> have been discussions of other modes, but nothing definite.
>
> The Clang documentation does not specifically mention gold, so I'm a
> bit unclear on things -- would gold be just another supported linker,
> or would it be required?

Required for linking with -emit-llvm to work properly, otherwise not
required.  But it's probably not worth worrying about for the first
release.

>> Are you planning to base the release off of LLVM 2.6?  If not, note
>> that you should uncomment the USE_PRODUCTION_CLANG define in
>> clang/lib/Driver/Driver.cpp.
>>
> Ah, good to know. This define is not in the clang-2.6.tar.gz snapshot
> that comes with the LLVM 2.6 prerelease, though -- is this something
> that is trunk-specific? Would later prereleases, and the final 2.6,
> have this define that then has to be taken out?

I think it got added after the first prerelease.  You don't need to
mess with it if you're working from the 2.6 branch.

-Eli