[cfe-dev] clang packaging question

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Wed Sep 9 08:21:20 PDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 12:05 AM, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> clang will be shipped with Fedora's Linux distribution as of version
> 12, which is scheduled for release in a couple of months.

Cool.

> Our preliminary packaging has llvm-clang containing the files that are
> installed by default, and llvm-clang-analyzer containing files
> corresponding to the binary checker release posted on
> clang-analyzer.llvm.org.

   make clang-only
   make install-clang

is the path I'd recommend.  This builds and installs just clang.

> 1. Noting that clang and clang-cc can currently operate without LLVM
> installed, would it be better to have the llvm-clang package depend on
> llvm or not?

Depends upon your needs and desires.  If you want clang to be able to
be faster moving and not tied directly to llvm, uncoupled is a nice
way to develop.  If you want them fully coupled, just drop clang into
llvm and build both together.  Around here, we like them decoupled
(for now).  If you don't need them decoupled, together results in
faster build times, if you also ship llvm bits for some reason.

> 3. Does the Clang team have any preference w.r.t. package naming? e.g.
>  -- llvm-clang or just clang
>  -- llvm-clang-analyzer, clang-analyzer, or llvm-checker

just clang I think is best.  The middle one, though Ted might have a
better idea.