[cfe-dev] too slow to build clang

David Chisnall csdavec at swansea.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 11:47:25 PST 2009

On 19 Jan 2009, at 19:40, Rick Mann wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:50:16, Eric Christopher wrote:
>
>> Only on linux at this point.
>

> In more seriousness, what would it take to run gold on Mac OS X?

Major and invasive changes to the OS X loader.  Gold is fast because
it only supports one binary format, ELF, while the older GNU ld
supports a.out, ELF and COFF.  OS X uses Mach-O, and is not supported
by either.

I don't know how Gold compares in terms of performance to the NeXT /
Apple linker, but I'd be surprised if there was a big difference in
performance since the Apple linker hasn't inherited the same level of
cruft as the GNU linker from having multiple binary formats added over
time.

Porting Gold to *BSD should be relatively easy, but no one appears to
have both the skill and the motivation to do so.

David