[cfe-dev] too slow to build clang

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 19 12:00:05 PST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 07:47:25PM +0000, David Chisnall wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2009, at 19:40, Rick Mann wrote:
>

> > On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:50:16, Eric Christopher wrote:
> >
> >> Only on linux at this point.
> >

> > In more seriousness, what would it take to run gold on Mac OS X?
>
> Major and invasive changes to the OS X loader.  Gold is fast because
> it only supports one binary format, ELF, while the older GNU ld
> supports a.out, ELF and COFF.  OS X uses Mach-O, and is not supported
> by either.
>
> I don't know how Gold compares in terms of performance to the NeXT /
> Apple linker, but I'd be surprised if there was a big difference in
> performance since the Apple linker hasn't inherited the same level of
> cruft as the GNU linker from having multiple binary formats added over
> time.
>
> Porting Gold to *BSD should be relatively easy, but no one appears to
> have both the skill and the motivation to do so.

If Google hadn't signed to copyright over to the FSF and/or had released
to code under a BSDL or similar license, there would probably be quite
a bit of interest.  At things stand, the BSD projects are trying to
delay or avoid entirely the day when they have to use a GPLv3 licensed
binutils.  Yet another elf linker is probably more likely. :(

-- Brooks