[cfe-dev] separate repository for test suite?

Mike Stump mrs at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 14:41:01 PDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Ted Kremenek wrote:
> Lately we have been adding new test cases to the test suite that came
> from bug reports of this-or-that project not being parsed/analyzed
> correctly by clang.

Complex issue, no exceedingly perfect answers.  Might have to consult
the llvm lawyer for guidance.

Basically, from an engineering point of view, strip testcase down and
then hope for the best.  In practice, worked fine for the gcc
testsuite.  One you get down to be small enough, the copyright claim
of the original ceases to be much a concern.  If the original came
from a commercial testsuite, great care (clean room) technique should
probably be used.

A lawyer type might propose that we include explicit wording saying
basically that by submitting the bug report, the user agrees to the
general process by which we strip down the testcase and include it for
redistribution in the testsuite.  If nothing else, this sets the users
expectations better, which should reduce the number of unhappy
campers.  In the great FSF testsuite review, I think we wound up just
rm -rf all the larger testcases and going on with life.