[cfe-dev] separate repository for test suite?

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Tue Sep 16 09:46:00 PDT 2008

I wanted to raise the question of whether or not clang needs a
separate repository for its test suite (as we do for llvm).

Lately we have been adding new test cases to the test suite that came
from bug reports of this-or-that project not being parsed/analyzed
correctly by clang.  Often these test cases are reduced versions of
preprocessed files.  My concern is whether or not those test cases,
which could be considered "derived work", fall under the original
license of that source code.  If that is the case, does this pose
issues for clang?

The case I'm most concerned about is test cases that come from GPL'ed
projects, since that license is obviously far different in its legal
parameters than the UIUC license.  Checking in a mix of GPL and non-
GPL code into the clang repository may be problematic.