[cfe-dev] ParseTag only called from ParseEnumSpecifier

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Wed Sep 3 11:36:23 PDT 2008

I noticed today that ParseTag is only called by ParseEnumSpecifier.
In the past ParseTag was used do much of the heavy lifting of parsing
structs, unions, and enums, and the comments on the source still say
this.  Now it looks like ParseTag is only called by
ParseEnumSpecifier, which means most of the comments are not true and
that the logic could probably just be rolled into ParseEnumSpecifier
directly.

 From my understanding of the code, it appears that
ParseClassSpecifier (in ParseDeclCXX.cpp) now does all the parsing for
structs, unions, and C++ classes.  This seems a little weird to me,
and it isn't clear from the comments in the Parse library that this is
the case.  Specifically, I have two concerns:

(1) ParseTag now appears to be somewhat redundant and unnecessary, and
in some ways ill-named.  It doesn't appear to serve its original
purpose anymore, and thus it's logic should probably just be folded
into ParseEnumSpecifier.

(2) It seems strange to me that parsing structs and unions, core
pieces of the C language, is done in ParseClassSpecifier
(ParseDeclCXX.cpp).  There seems to be a lot of commonality here that
could possibly be refactored and moved back into ParseDecl.cpp.  This
is my first look at this code in a while, so I'm don't claim to
understand all of the design decisions here, but conceptually it just
seems a little confusing.

As a side note, my original interest in this code was to allow the
parser+actions to be able to distinguish up front between enum/struct/
union/class forward declarations and definitions.  This would allow us
to hopefully clean up some elements of the ASTs with regards to
forward declarations of tag types, and it seems it would also relay
more information to the parser Actions.