[cfe-dev] Any work on code coverage "add-on" like gcov?

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Tue Sep 2 13:09:43 PDT 2008

As far as I know no work is being done on this.

Adding support for emitting the same kind of instrumentation used by gcov
would probably not be very difficult and seems fairly reasonable. One issue
that may come up here is that gcov is tied fairly tightly, I believe, with
the
gcc and libgcc versions. I know this impacts the file format, I'm not sure
how
much this impacts the actual instrumentation. I suspect the in memory
instrumentation data structures are tightly coupled to the gcov version,
which
complicates configuration and maintenance if you want it to interoperate
seamlessly with the system gcc & gcov.

Of course, designing a separate coverage instrumentation system would also
be a viable approach, but significantly more work...

 - Daniel