[cfe-dev] General questions

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Mon Sep 1 12:00:21 PDT 2008

On Sep 1, 2008, at 3:15 PM, John Graley wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I just have some general questions about the Clang project and its
> direction:
>
> - What's your relationship to the LLVM project at present? You
> appear to use
> llvm code, but only as general helper libraries (like STL and Boost)
> as far
> as I can see. Certainly, your intermediate representations seem to
> be your
> own, making Clang independent in theory, if not practice. There's no
> mention
> of Clang on the LLVM website - instead they say they're using a
> modified GCC
> (even though they're a BSD licensed project).

See http://clang.llvm.org/ for goals (and our relationship with llvm).
llvm-gcc is currently much more mature for day to day development (and
it fully supports C++). As clang matures, the LLVM website will likely
contain more direct references.

> - There are lots of target applications for Clang including automated
> refactoring, static analysis and as a compiler front end. What are
> your
> priorities? There's lots going on in the lists - where is most of
> this work
> leading? Is objective-C considered more important than C++, for
> example?

Static analysis, refactoring, and native code compilation are all
under active development. Pushing on these application areas  helps
drive bug fixes/features in the "core" front-end.

Objective-C is a far simpler language to implement than C++. Getting
clang to do a great job with C/ObjC is a useful stepping stone toward C
++. At a high level, C, ObjC, and C++ are all very important to us.
Unfortunately, implementing all of C++ is a huge job.

> - Is the source in the "brose source" up-to-date or is it some way
> behind the
> bleeding edge in subversion?

It's up-to-date.

> Thanks, John