[cfe-dev] c++ templates

Andrew Sutton andrew.n.sutton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 06:28:45 PST 2008

> >> What should I be doing with the templates patch? Its growing steadily
> >> larger and I'll probably get to a point soon where I have to step on a
> >> lot of code to get anything else built.
>

> > When it's in a state where it has some closure (e.g. parsing
> > declarations works, even if you can't actually use those parameters and
> > sema never hears of it or treats it as non-templates), and you've
> > written a few test cases, submit it for review. It has to do something
> > useful (at least for testability), it should not crash the compiler
> > under any circumstances.

That's basically what I'm working towards. It's coming a long nicely.

> Exactly. Then one of the main Clang developers will merge your patch
> into Subversion. After a
>
> > I think a big discussion is in order before touching sema of templates
> > anyway. We have to plan the template engine.
>
> Yes, that's a big chunk of design work. I expect that it'll happen
> when a few people get together to come up with a coherent design and
> prototype, then bring it to the larger Clang community for review and
> ideas.

That sounds like a good plan. Do you know of any good references on the
design and implementation of template engines floating around (besides
code?). I'm curious to see what other people have done.

Is there any way I can get write access to a branch? It would definitely
help me out since I tend to work on 3-5 different operating systems, and
propagating patches back and forth isn't a lot of fun. It would also add a
nice central point for other people interested in working on template stuff.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton at gmail.com