[cfe-dev] c++ templates

Doug Gregor doug.gregor at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:15:09 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at> wrote:
> Andrew Sutton wrote:
>>
>>     Attached is a very (VERY) preliminary stab at the beginning of
>>     template parsing for clang. It's not complete, it doesn't do
>>     anything, there's no AST stuff, I haven't even considered scopes
>>     and name resolution, etc., etc. It just recognizes "template
>>     <...>". I had hoped to spend some spare time, an hour or so a day
>>     (whenever possible) to continue working on this. Please bear in
>>     mind that a) I've never worked on a real compiler before and b) I
>>     probably don't fully understand the requirements of what I'm
>>     working on.
>>
>>     I hope this is an adequate start.
>>

>> What should I be doing with the templates patch? Its growing steadily
>> larger and I'll probably get to a point soon where I have to step on a
>> lot of code to get anything else built.
> When it's in a state where it has some closure (e.g. parsing
> declarations works, even if you can't actually use those parameters and
> sema never hears of it or treats it as non-templates), and you've
> written a few test cases, submit it for review. It has to do something
> useful (at least for testability), it should not crash the compiler
> under any circumstances.

Exactly. Then one of the main Clang developers will merge your patch
into Subversion. After a

> I think a big discussion is in order before touching sema of templates
> anyway. We have to plan the template engine.

Yes, that's a big chunk of design work. I expect that it'll happen
when a few people get together to come up with a coherent design and
prototype, then bring it to the larger Clang community for review and
ideas.

  - Doug