[cfe-dev] Help request for a game IDE project

Argiris Kirtzidis akyrtzi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 12:48:29 PST 2008

Chris Lattner wrote:

> This is definitely a direction that we'd like to go with clang.  There
> are already people in the community that are very interested in
> interpretation specifically (e.g. read/eval/print loops),

Some time ago I did a bit of experimentation for this and was happy to
conclude that clang's modular design makes it really easy.
The changes required were mostly about exposing APIs that are currently
private, some methods on the Parser and Sema.

What are the expectations of people on how a C/C++ REPL should work ?
I mean, certain interpreters allow mixing expressions and declarations
e.g, you can define a function and evaluate an expression without
switching declaration contexts.
Using Clang almost as is, would need some kind of a declaration context
switch, (like "type in expression context>"), would this be reasonable ?

-Argiris