[cfe-dev] Exception handling on Windows

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 14:52:23 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Sebastian Redl
<sebastian.redl at getdesigned.at> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> I see.  So clang isn't really usable on Windows right now then?
>>

> I suppose the C part is about as usable as on Linux. The Objective-C part is
> as usable as you'd expect from an Objective-C compiler under Windows. The
> C++ part is too incomplete to be usable anywhere.

I see.
The LLVM - D compiler guys (LDC) seem to have exception handling
working properly in their linux version, so apparently that part of
LLVM works.

>>> (I don't think Clang supports exception codegen at all at the
>>> moment. At least, it doesn't fully support parsing C++ exception
>>> constructs.)
>>>

>> I presume this is something the clang devs would like to address
>> eventually?
>> A C++ compiler without exception handling is hardly a C++ compiler.
>>

> Of course. But C++ is big.

Well, the LLVM-based D compiler is mostly working on Linux now, if
you're interested. ;-)

>> A slightly different question -- any idea how many developers are
>> actively working on clang and how many are actively working on the
>> core parts of LLVM that clang relies on?
>>
>> My impression is that LLVM is a pretty big project with some nice
>> corporate backing.  But maybe the actual amount of activity is less
>> than I'm thinking...   I'm just surprised that something like
>> exception handling is working yet.  Or maybe it's just that none of
>> the devs or corporate backers are interested in Windows?
>>

> The main corporate backer of LLVM is Apple. Do the math. :-)

Yeh, ok.  But development on core LLVM is not /all/ done by Apple,
right?  There must be a few who are interested in making LLVM a great
cross-platform compiler infrastructure in addition to being a great
tool for Apple.

> From my time on the mailing list, I think there's around 12 regular
> contributors to Clang, in various areas. The C++ part is mostly done by
> three people (Doug, Argiris, and me). Of those, I believe Doug is the only
> one who works on this as part of his job. I'm not sure about Argiris. I'm
> just a student working on Clang as a hobby.

Thanks for the useful info.

--bb