[Release-testers] [llvm-dev] RFC: New Automated Release Workflow (using Issues and Pull Requests)

Tom Stellard via Release-testers release-testers at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 20 09:16:55 PST 2021

On 12/18/21 15:04, David Blaikie wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 6:38 PM Tom Stellard <tstellar at redhat.com <mailto:tstellar at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/17/21 16:47, David Blaikie wrote:
>      > Sounds pretty good to me - wouldn't mind knowing more about/a good summary of the effects of this on project/repo/etc notifications that Mehdi's mentioning. (be good to have a write up of the expected impact/options to then discuss - from the thread so far I understand some general/high level concerns, but it's not clear to me exactly how it plays out)
>      >

>     The impact is really going to depend on the person and what notification preferences they
>     have/want.  If you are already watching the repo with the default settings, then you probably
>     won't notice much of a difference given the current volume of notifications.
>

> I think I'm on the default settings - which does currently mean a notification for every issue update, which is a lot. Given that llvm-bugs at email.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-bugs at email.llvm.org> has been re-enabled, sending mail only on issue creation, I & others might opt back in to that behavior by disabling the baseline "notify on everything" to "notify only on issues I'm mentioned in".
>
> I guess currently the only email that github is generating is one email per issue update. We don't have any pull requests, so there aren't any emails for that, yeah?
>
> So this new strategy might add a few more back-and-forth on each cherrypick issue (for those using llvm-bugs & disabling general issue notifications, this will not be relevant to them - there won't be more issues created, just more comments on existing issues). But there will be some more emails generated related to the pull requests themselves, I guess? So each cherrypick goes from 2 emails to llvm-bugs (the issue creation and closure) to, how many? 4 (2 for llvm-bugs and I guess at least 2 for the pull request - one to make the request and one to close it - maybe a couple more status ones along the way?)

I think the number of net new comments on issues will be very minimal or none at all.  The
automated comments that are created by this process are replacing comments that I'm already making
manually.

So 2+ for pull requests is probably a good estimate.  I still need to figure out how many notifications
get generated for Actions with the default settings.

--Tom