[Release-testers] [4.0.0 Release] The branch is here, the release process starts

Hans Wennborg via Release-testers release-testers at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 12 15:34:43 PST 2017

Dear everyone,

It has begun: the release branch was recently created from trunk at
r291814 and the trunk version was subsequently incremented to 5.0.0
(as per the new versioning scheme [1]).

Release blockers are tracked by http://llvm.org/PR31622 Please mark
any bugs, old or new, that you think need to be fixed before the
release as blocking that.

Please help me out in staying on top of the release by cc'ing me on
any bugs, commits, or other issues you think may be relevant. If I'm
not cc'd on it, there's a large chance I'll miss it. I'm on IRC too,
but email is more reliable.

If you know of any committs that occurred close to the branch that
need to be reverted or merged, please let me know.

To get a change committed to the branch, first commit to trunk as
usual, and then reply to the commit message on the mailing list with
myself and the code owner cc'd, asking for the change to be merged to
the branch. Alternatively, make the request by filing a bug blocking
PR31622.

Release notes should be committed directly to the branch. If you know
of any significant change made since the last release, it should get
mentioned in the notes.

What's next? Once the branch is in good shape, hopefully within a few
days, a first release candidate will be made available for testing.
The schedule for the release is under "Upcoming Releases" on
http://llvm.org.

Thanks,
Hans

 [1] http://blog.llvm.org/2016/12/llvms-new-versioning-scheme.html