[Release-testers] [Openmp-dev] [4.0 Release] Schedule and call for testers

Hans Wennborg via Release-testers release-testers at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 5 10:56:14 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Dimitry Andric <dimitry at andric.com> wrote:
> On 05 Dec 2016, at 19:26, Hans Wennborg via Openmp-dev <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> There's still plenty of time left, but I'd like to get the schedule
>> set before folks start disappearing for the holidays.
>>
>> Note that this release will also switch us to the new versioning
>> scheme where the major version is incremented for each major release
>> (i.e., when the 4.0 branch is created, trunk will become 5.0).
>
> Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but where is the general outline
> for this versioning scheme documented?  And are we still going to do
> 4.1, 4.2, etc?

There was a long discussion around the time when the 3.9 branch was
created. I'm planning on writing a blog post to make sure everyone is
up to date.

The idea is that Tom's stable releases will keep incrementing the
"patch" part of the version numbers, just as today, so they would be
4.0.1, 4.0.2, etc.

>> If you'd like to help providing binaries and testing for your
>> favourite platform, please subscribe to the release-testers mailing
>> list [1].
>>
>> I propose the following schedule for the 4.0 release:
>>
>> - 12 January 2017: Create the 4.0 branch. RC1 tagged soon thereafter.
>>
>> - 1 February: Tag RC2. All lose ends should have been tied up by now.
>>
>> - 21 February: Final tag. Binaries and release announcement a few days later.
>>
>> Unless there are any objections, I'll post this on the web page soon.
>
> Note that this is a pretty close follow-up to the 3.9.1 release.  There
> is a minor risk of "release burn-out" here... :)

Hopefully 3.9.1 will be done some time before 4.0.0 starts, otherwise
I agree that's not very good for the testers. I don't want to change
the schedule of the major releases though, as we've been on a nice
predictible 6-month cycle for a while now.

Thanks,
Hans