[Openmp-dev] [RFC] Clarify the absence of API stability for the *device runtime* (aka. libomptarget-nvptx-sm_XX.bc)

Hal Finkel via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 10 07:06:38 PDT 2020

On 7/10/20 7:44 AM, Ye Luo via Openmp-dev wrote:

>     It seems that my experience that mixing an older version of libomp
>     and a newer version of libomptarget hangs the application
>     indicates the stability of libomp is limited at this point in time.
>
> Put a bit more words. I mean even for libomp which is thought to be
> stable (API, semantics), it may cause problems and burn users.
> If mix-and-match is a critical feature in any part of
> libomp/libomptarget, please make it solid by testing. If not, directly
> stop users doing it.
> Ye

I fully agree. Our best intentions to keep the interface stable are
insufficient to keep the interface stable without explicit testing.
Testing is definitely required (or, alternatively, we should change the
whole setup to make everything explicitly internalized).

  -Hal

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility
Argonne National Laboratory