[Openmp-dev] [RFC] Clarify the absence of API stability for the *device runtime* (aka. libomptarget-nvptx-sm_XX.bc)

Jonas Hahnfeld via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 9 23:43:10 PDT 2020

Am Donnerstag, den 09.07.2020, 17:00 -0500 schrieb Michael Kruse:
> Am Do., 9. Juli 2020 um 15:57 Uhr schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo at hahnjo.de>:
> > I asked the maintainer to install libomptarget and the plugin because
> > otherwise there are link errors when compiling an OpenMP application
> > with target directives. That's worse from a users perspective.
>
> Isn't subtly miscompiling because a runtime function semantics changed
> between versions worse than a link-time error?

At that time, there was no "changed semantics" in the host runtime and
there was no intent to change any interface functions, that's a rather
recent idea of some. Given the stability guarantees for libomp, I
assume(d) the same for libomptarget and I think there were even
discussions on some review (could be wrong about that).

Jonas