[Openmp-dev] [RFC]Requiring C++14 for the OpenMP subproject

Hal Finkel via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 11 05:09:23 PST 2020

On 2/11/20 4:56 AM, Jon Chesterfield via Openmp-dev wrote:

>     Hmm, so you propose creating a dependency from the OpenMP runtime to
>     the LLVM libraries? Which classes would you want to use, probably some
>     of the ADTs? Does any of the other runtime libraries (libc++,
>     libc++abi, compiler-rt, sanitizers) already do this? IIRC
>     libc++abi and
>     LLVMSupport share some demangling code, but that is manually copied.
>

> I am unaware that each subproject reimplements code to avoid a
> dependency on llvm. My first reaction is "surely not", but it's not
> totally implausible. I will look into this.
>
> ADT is the obvious contender for reuse. There will also be a lot of OS
> wrappers somewhere. File IO, dlopen, probably memory allocators.
> Essentially all the stuff a big cross platform C++ project grows over
> time. In the case of anything hitting the filesystem, also
> treacherously difficult to get right across platforms.
>
> There's an open patch against libomptarget that uses dlopen with a
> hardcoded path length. Opt loads shared libraries on windows afaik so
> probably has a robust wrapper around dlopen, so I'd start there.

I would separate these two discussions. One motivation for the
relicensing effort is to allow sharing code between runtime libraries
and the core infrastructure. I expect that, as we move to full coverage
on various parts of the relicensing, we'll have a large-scale discussion
about how to implement this resuse across the project. However, we can
certainly use C++14 language features before we worry about using LLVM's
support library.

  -Hal

> Jon

Hal Finkel