[Openmp-dev] RFC: End-to-end testing

via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 8 11:51:22 PDT 2019

I agree with all your points.  End-to-end testing is a major hole in the
project infrastructure; it has been largely left up to the individual
vendors/packagers/distributors.  The Clang tests verify that Clang will
produce some sort of not-unreasonable IR for given situations; the LLVM
tests verify that some (other) set of input IR will produce something
that looks not-unreasonable on the target side.  Very little connects
the two.

There is more than nothing:
- test-suite has some quantity of code that is compiled end-to-end for
  some targets.
- lldb can be set up to use the just-built Clang to compile its tests,
  but those are focused on debug info and are nothing like comprehensive.
- libcxx likely also can use the just-built Clang, although I've never
  tried it so I don't know for sure. It obviously exercises just the
  runtime side of things.
- compiler-rt likewise. The sanitizer tests in particular I'd expect to
  be using the just-built Clang.
- debuginfo-tests also uses the just-built Clang but is a pathetically
  small set, and again focused on debug info.

I'm not saying the LLVM Project should invest in a commercial suite
(although I'd expect vendors to do so; Sony does).  But a place to *put*
end-to-end tests seems entirely reasonable and useful.  Although I would
resist calling it simply "tests" (we have too many directories with that
name already).

> I realize that some folks prefer to work on only a portion of the
> monorepo (for example, they just hack on LLVM).  I am not sure how to
> address those developers WRT end-to-end testing.  On the one hand,
> requiring them to run end-to-end testing means they will have to at
> least check out and build the monorepo.  On the other hand, it seems
> less than ideal to have people developing core infrastructure and not
> running tests.

People should obviously be running the tests for the project(s) they're
modifying.  People aren't expected to run everything.  That's why...

Bots.  "Don't argue with the bots."  I don't checkout and build and test
everything, and I've broken LLDB, compiler-rt, and probably others from
time to time.  Probably everybody has broken other projects unexpectedly.
That's what bots are for, to run the combinations and the projects that
I don't have the infrastructure or resources to do myself.  It's not up
to me to run everything possible before committing; it IS up to me to
respond promptly to bot failures for my changes.  I don't see a new
end-to-end test project being any different in that respect.

> I don't yet have a formal proposal but wanted to put this out to spur
> discussion and gather feedback and ideas.  Thank you for your interest
> and participation!

Thanks for bringing it up!  It's been a pebble in my shoe for a long time.
--paulr