[Openmp-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

Tom Stellard via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 29 14:33:41 PST 2019

Hi,

As part of the migration of LLVM's source code to github, we need to update
our developer policy with instructions about how to interact with the new git
repository.  There are a lot of different topics we will need to discuss, but
I would like to start by initiating a discussion about our merge commit
policy.  Should we:

1. Disallow merge commits and enforce a linear history by requiring a
   rebase before push.

2. Allow merge commits.

3. Require merge commits and disallow rebase before push.

I'm going to propose that if we cannot reach a consensus that we
adopt policy #1, because this is essentially what we have now
with SVN.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Tom