[Openmp-dev] Removing spec versioning from the OpenMP runtime

Wilmarth, Terry L via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 6 11:13:00 PST 2019

Hello,
We're considering removing all of the spec versioning in the runtime.  This is the set of spec-version-numbered #ifdefs throughout the runtime (such as OMP_40_ENABLED, OMP_45_ENABLED, OMP_50_ENABLED, etc.) that make it possible to build earlier versions of the runtime that are compliant with a certain spec version, via LIBOMP_OMP_VERSION.

The main reasons to remove this:

1)      No one seems to be using the spec-version builds.

2)      The #ifdefs are often not well-maintained or correctly added.

3)      The #ifdefs add clutter to the source.

We'd like to get some feedback on removing this.  If we're generally in agreement that it should be removed, we'll start work on the cleanup.

Thanks!
Terry
Terry L. Wilmarth
terry.l.wilmarth at intel.com<mailto:terry.l.wilmarth at intel.com>   512-362-0530