[Openmp-dev] kmp vs. gomp

Joachim Protze via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 22 08:09:59 PDT 2018

Ok, different proposal:

Many computing centers carefully provide separate tool chains for
different compilers used on their clusters based on module system or
similar approaches.

I also think, that in the near future several tools will integrate the
LLVM/OpenMP runtime into their build to enable their tool to work with
applications built with older compilers coming without OMPT interface.
Hopefully this will be solved within the next years :) But experience
shows that HPC machines tend to run with quite old software stack, so it
could take another 5-10 years :(

A configure switch might provide the ability to turn off kmp or gomp
interface in these module environments. So, if the sysadmin compiles the
runtime for the gcc toolchain, he would only activate the gomp
interface. Based on this switch a more detailed support level of OMPT
callbacks might be announced to the tool.
Default for this switch would be of cause kmp+gomp.

Best
Joachim