[Openmp-dev] Runtime error when executing multiple target regions within a target data region

Joachim Protze via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 13 02:50:38 PDT 2018

Hi all,

we experience strange errors when we try to launch multiple target
regions within a data region, see attached code. The result when using
unstructured data mapping is similar. We are using clang built from
trunk this week.

When we map the data for each iteration (as in line 23), the whole code
runs through. When we use a larger value for TEAMS, the execution falls
back to the host in an earlier iteration (for 1024 in the second
iteration instead of 7th as shown below).

So, there seems to be an issue with the allocation of teams, when the
data region stays open. Any ideas, how this can be fixed?

Best,
Joachim

Output when running the attached code (num_teams, thread_limit,
is_initial_device):

256, 992, 0
0
256, 992, 0
1
256, 992, 0
2
256, 992, 0
3
256, 992, 0
4
256, 992, 0
5
256, 992, 0
OMP: Warning #96: Cannot form a team with 256 threads, using 48 instead.
OMP: Hint Consider unsetting KMP_DEVICE_THREAD_LIMIT (KMP_ALL_THREADS),
KMP_TEAMS_THREAD_LIMIT, and OMP_THREAD_LIMIT (if any are set).
48, 2147483647, 1
6
48, 2147483647, 1
7