[Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Jason Henline via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 29 09:16:41 PDT 2016

Sergos,

Do you plan to introduce a cross-task dependece, as it is done in other
models? Say, you started data copy in one stream and want to start two
computation tasks dependent on these data in parallel. Can you assign these
tasks on different streams? How can you ensure the data is copied before
tasks are started?

Cross-stream dependencies would have to be handled on the host side. For
example, suppose we have streams s1 and s2, data transfer task d1, and
compute tasks t1 and t2 that use the data from d1. The host would enqueue
d1 on s1 and then create an "event" e1 (similar to a CUDA runtime library
event) and enqueue e1 followed by t1 on s1. Then the host would synchronize
on the completion of e1 and enqueue t2 on s2 when e1 completed.

So, introducing clang emission of SE calls should remove necessity of the
file interfaces?

The file interfaces will still be used for the less commonly used
"standalone" SE mode.

Also, I have a concern that for compiler it whould be reasonable to
introduce a plain C interface, since user can use SE in a non-C++ program.
At least it might be required to re-use the SE in other parallel models.

SE is meant as a C++-only interface, so we never intended to make a C
interface for it, but we would definitely be open to a modern C interface
living alongside the C++ interface.

As for being GPU-centric: is it a decision to follow in the future, or do
you envision some uniform device support? Say, if device hasn't a two-level
'block and dim' hierarchy as in your interface. What should be in the
plugin implementation then?

Right now the kernel launch method is the part of the plugin interface that
explicitly references the thread block hierarchy. I could see this part of
the interface changing in the future to accept a more generic "thread team
dimensions" argument in order to support other platforms. I'm not sure at
this stage what that would look like, but it would be useful to hear what
developers of potential SE platforms think.

-Jason