[Openmp-dev] [Release-testers] [4.0 Release] Schedule and call for testers

Renato Golin via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 5 12:02:40 PST 2016

On 5 December 2016 at 19:56, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
> I'd like to avoid 4.1 because of the potential for confusion about
> whether it's a major release (as it would have been under the old
> scheme) or a patch release.

But if the versioning scheme is different, users will have to
understand what it means anyway.

Until now we had a weird and very unique logic, and we're moving to a
more sensible logic, because it's similar to what some other projects
are doing.

I can see as much confusion from 4.0.1 -> 5.0.0 than by having a 4.1
that used to be weird before.

After a few releases everything will be clear anyway... I really don't
want to make the foreseeable future weird again to avoid a potential
misunderstanding for one or two releases.

Let's just be brutally clear in all release communications and
hopefully people will understand.

> The alternative would be:
>
> 3.9.0
> 3.9.1
> 4.0.0
> 4.1.0 <-- Can't tell from the version number what kind of release this is.

No, that has a redundant zero, too.

The alternative is:

3.9.0
3.9.1