[Openmp-dev] LLVM coding conventions an the OpenMP runtime

Chris Lattner via Openmp-dev openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 10 22:16:49 PDT 2016

On Aug 9, 2016, at 1:23 AM, C Bergström via Openmp-dev <openmp-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Pragmatically and just my view - If the research is open and there's a
> plan to integrate it back I'm empathetic. If it's closed and just an
> outside fork, I don't care what you do and it shouldn't block an open
> source project.

+1, this is consistent with the overall LLVM approach.

The open source project can’t be concerned with every private fork that may be maintained, and worrying about that often cuts against the bests interests of the project (which is to always move forward).

Additionally, it is arguably *better* for the open source project to have a bit of churn in the code, because this makes it more painful to maintain out of tree branches. This is one way to encourage these private branches to be contributed back to mainline, instead of being kept proprietary.

-Chris