[Openmp-dev] On Improving the Build System

Peyton, Jonathan L jonathan.l.peyton at intel.com
Wed Mar 12 10:36:28 PDT 2014

People have been complaining about our build system, and we are about to invest some effort to improve things.
However, you have also been telling us that we should be using CMake, whereas the LLVM docs have extensive documentation for both gmake and CMake.
In fact, the Development Process Documentation (http://llvm.org/docs/) has a Makefile (gmake) guide for developers, but the User Guides has
tutorials for building by configure/gmake or CMake.

So what do you really want?
    Cmake generating gmake makefiles?
    Native gmake?
    Cmake generating host native makefiles?
    Cmake generating Microsoft Visual Studio projects?
Before we invest effort we want to be confident that what we're doing aligns best with normal LLVM practice.

Thanks
--Johnny