[Openmp-dev] Phoronix numbers for clang-omp compiler

Andrey Bokhanko andreybokhanko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:02:50 PDT 2014

Hi All,

Some of you probably saw performance benchmarking of OpenMP-enabled clang
compiler published on Phoronix web-site:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=llvm_clang_openmp&num=1

As you can see, clang-omp is behind gcc in most of the benchmarks. The
reason is quite simple: no -O options supplied to both compilers, so gcc
assumed -O2 by default, while clang assumed -O0. No surprise gcc got ahead!

We added -O2 to clang and re-measured, and results changed quite
significantly. My Intel colleague, Alexey Bataev, informed Michael Larabel
on this omission.

Yours,
Andrey
=====