[llvm-foundation] Status of re-license?

Zachary Turner via llvm-foundation llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 24 18:35:13 PDT 2020

Hi, I'd like to make a contribution.  As it is currently written, I do not
understand the requirements for being able to contribute a patch.

This page <https://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#relicensing> seems to
suggest that all contributions are currently being licensed under both the
old and new license.

> In the interim, *all contributions to the project will be made under the
terms of both the new license and the legacy license scheme* (each of which
is described below).

And there is no indication that this has been completed.  On this page
<https://llvm.org/foundation/relicensing/>, at the bottom, it says that the
aim is to have this completed by January 2019.  If it has been completed, I
don't think it has been communicated well, because all public facing
documentation still refers to it being in progress.

Could you offer some guidance on what the current status of the re-license
is and how I should communicate this to my company's legal department?